Vintage style blogger Marianne of Esme & The Laneway Blog! is a British born vintage obsessive who now calls Melbourne, Australia home. Featuring daily adventures, heaps of wardrobe inspiration from Marianne’s envy evoking collection of vintage dresses, regular beauty inspiration and plenty of cute cat pictures. I am proud to announce Esme and The Laneway as The Fabulous Times Blogger of The Month. We took a moment to quiz Marianne on her love of blogging and personal blog inspirations.Q1. List 3 things you love about blogging:
1. Communicating with people. I love to be able to share things with people, especially the smaller, everyday things, and to find ways to make it interesting and engaging and dynamic.
2. Documenting my life. This is good in two ways: I have a recored of things I have done, and me and my family and friends have done, places I’ve been, what I’ve worn, for good and bad really! Secondly, it encourages me to get more out of life, to push myself to do better and be brave and try things that scare me.
Well this is SO hard! There is a list of a few blogs and I find the top three or so are always changing, depending on the day or the week and so one, but at the moment:
1.spitalfieldslife.com — absolutely amazing, huge amount of information and history and stories of east London. I love how it is a record of an area, and I really want to record Melbourne as it is for me, right now, and for other people here, too. Something I must focus on this year.
2. Garance Dore — and a few other big street style blogs. I love these and have really enjoyed the shows (even more than usual, or at least for a little while) but I also love how Garance will write about fashion-y things in such a lighthearted yet interesting way. I’d like to get back to focussing on smaller posts with items ie. shoes, vintage dresses etc as I used to do this and quite miss it.
3. Underbaraclara — one of the very first blogs that was about more than one particular topic that I ever got into. I love how it is about a whole life, from cooking to decorating to special, quiet moments to outfits to family and friends. It’s so warm and inclusive and interesting, and companionable. I love seeing how people in other parts of the world – especially such opposites to Australia – live, what their snowy morning looked like, and what they had for breakfast.Q3. List 3 Fabulous tips for aspiring bloggers.
1. Blog about what you love. If that changes as your blog grows, don’t fight it, go with it. Write about what you love even if it seems to be too small or shallow, as these posts are often wonderful! I love to read about the small minutiae of the world.
2. Be brave. This is incredibly hard for a lot of people, me included. I mean be brave in the sense of being honest, not being too vain abut pictures and not being too restricted. That said, always be aware of the importance of context – as in, being taken out of it! – and having a sense of humour too.
3. Enjoy it. If you are finding that it is beoming a chore, maybe look at what you are posting about and what you want to get form it. Always please yourself first and trust what you want to do. You’ll know if it is right for you or not. And don’t put too much pressure on yourelf! Some post will be better than others, you might have a good week or a bad week. I’m always trying to get better with each post but you must be kind, too!We hope you’ll find time to swing by to esme and the laneway, we’re certain you’ll love it just as much as we do! be warned you may find yourself with serious hair/ wardrobe envy. Special thanks to Marianne for taking the time out to share her wise words and inspirations! Happy blogging.
The Fabulous Times