With January being national thank you month I wanted to share 5 ways to practice gratitude everyday.
January is the month when it’s easy to dwell on what we are lacking like sunshine, money, time, our friends having all dispersed after the holiday reunion etc etc… adopting simple daily practices, turning your focus to abundance, prosperity and all the fabulous things that surround you, can be a life changer!
1. The moment you open your eyes, think of five things that bring you happiness: We’ve all been there, bleary eyed, drained, crawling out of bed in pitch black before the sun comes up, rushing around to get out of the door to get to work, getting angry on the commute to work, then projecting our frustrations on those around us.
Think of five things you feel thankful for, they could be something like, waking up next to the person you love, how thankful you are to have slept in a warm comfy bed, how thankful you feel to have your health.
2. Guided meditation: Do a guided meditation last thing at night as you slip off into sleep. I usually play a guided meditation on my i-phone, there are loads of delicious guided gratitude meditations available for free on YouTube (these are also a great way achieving deep relaxation). A few fabulous guided meditations: Alicia Cramer Gratitude Meditation, Joanne D’Amico Gratitude Meditation
3. Keep a journal: Keep a gratitude journal, you could begin with a sentence at the top of each page something a little like this ‘I feel rich because….’, ‘today I am thankful for……
4. Smile more: It’s scientifically proven that smiling more can increase your levels of happiness and relaxation. Smile at strangers, smiling brings happiness and will bring joy to those around you, who knows a world full of smiles might just make us all a little more grateful we got out of bed in the morning.
5. Give back: The power of giving is one of the greatest joys, think about what you have to give, what might others be grateful to receive? Do you have free time, money, knowledge, special skills or bags of energy to give to a worthy cause? Giving back not only helps others it can give you a real sense of integrity, love and gratitude to be able to make a difference, no matter how small.
‘Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.’ –Denis Waitley