Home security is pretty darn important right? over the years I’ve had the misfortunate of experiencing a number of home burglaries and I know I’m not alone in saying it feels both scary and maddening to know someone has been inside your home touching your personal belongings. Following my brush with burglary I started to research ways to protect your home that are both simple, effective and look pretty. Home Alone style! Here are a few simple ways to help protect your home:
1. Line shelves & window ledges: If you line the shelves with ornaments, cacti, photo frames your most likely to hear if somebody is attempting to enter your property via the window, which would be enough of an indication for you to call the police or alert a neighbour. I particularly like the idea of lining up old glass bottles and jars with fresh flowers along the window sil, such a fabulous idea.
2. Plant rose bushes outside the window: Thorny plants look beautiful planted outside and also make it much harder for an intruder to get close to the windows. This is a great idea if you live on ground level.
3. Choose a new garden flooring: Add loose shingle, gravel and stones in the driveway or garden, this way you’ll hear if anyone is approaching the house.
4. Buy new locks: Choose a reliable locksmith service, get a new lock for the front door and be sure to lock the doors and windows each time you leave the house.
5. Invest in a new front door: Enjoy the experience, choose a bold coloured front door or a fancy new number to hang on your door. Read my previous post to find out ‘what your front door colour say about you‘
6. Leave talk radio on: When you leave the house it’s often advised to leave the television or talk radio on to give the impression that somebody is home. If a would-be-intruder hears voices they are less likely to try and enter the property. Might be time to invest an iconic Roberts Radio, argh but which colour to choose?!
7. Get a dog (optional): If you need an excuse to finally buy yourself that mini cockapoo or pug then home security would be as good an excuse as any! A barking dog makes for a brilliant home security system! Although I fear most of the dogs I love are more yappers than barkers…but still, look at this guy…
Hope you found a little inspiration in these simple and pretty home security measures, just to point out I am in no way a home security expert and would also highly recommend installing an alarm if you are concerned about intruders. These simple and pretty ideas will help to contribute towards the protection of your home and look fabulous!
‘Be grateful for the home you have, knowing that at this moment, all you have is all you need’ –Sarah Ban Breathnach