Inspirations, resolutions, ambitions, fabulous times! Regular readers will remember my bold, brave and ambitious list of ‘100 Things To Do In 2012’, remember that old thing? As 2012 is drawing to a close it’s time to look back and take a peek at how I got on. Did I manage to fulfil my dreams and goals for the year, dun- dun-duuun it’s judgement day! Let’s take a look shall we?….eek Epic post alert:
1. Learn French, even if it’s only to order coffee or direct a taxi driver! Oui, oui! After our month in France back in Feb I can now order drinks and get by with very basic French!
2. Run a marathon YES!!!! Successfully completed the Berlin Marathon in 5hrs 11minutes with my childhood GBFFF Nick3. Travel more. As many of you will have seen, this year I packed my bags back in February and visited rural France for 1month, travelled through beautiful Canada for 2months, drove through the almighty USA for 3months, lived in Berlin for 1month, spent a wild weekend in Hamburg & went shopping in Riyadh! then headed back to England for a right royal family Christmas.
4. Try things I have never done before. Amongst others I’ve travelled, surfed, kayaked, seen a whale, couch surfed and been on a horse! Here I am riding a horse in France, look at me go…and yes I am wearing my Converse..
5. Learn to ride a motorbike. YES! I now have my basic license so can legally ride a scooter or small motorbike, need to start proper lessons to fulfil my dreams of becoming a Hells Angel. Here I am on my bike lesson on the coldest day of the year.6. Initiate more independent creative projects. (YES, working on it)
7. Work freelance/ independently Yes! since returning to the UK I’ve been busy working as a freelance designer, my laptop is my office.
8. Create a beautiful community at The Fabulous Times!! (formerly The Big Mac Blog) a place for people to share inspiration and leave feeling fulfilled. Long may my quest continue, there are more of you lovely readers stopping by than ever before. I hope 2013 will bring more inspiration as our little community grows.
9. Encourage people around me to pursue their dreams. I was very touched to receive a tweet from a reader that said I’d inspired her to travel for the first time in 13years! what an inspiring tweet and something I will not forget!
10. Finish the story book I started last November. O.K so I scrapped the story book and written a travel guide instead, this is in the process of being completed, watch this space!
11. Live in Berlin. I stayed in Berlin for 1month, which was a real blast. we rode our bikes, ate croissants, struggled to get wifi, ran the marathon, saw the sights, did plenty of vintage shopping and lapped up the culture.
12. Collaborate with fellow bloggers, creatives and inspirational role models online. Currently working on an exciting work project with a creative powerhouse, I hope to continue to collaborate with my creative inspirational icons.
13. Discover new blogs. I have loads of new favourites, take a look at my Fabulous Daily Reads Page to share my new favourites.
14. Draw more, not including flat sketches of garments (actual freehand drawing for pleasure) So, I’ve done a couple of sketches but haven’t really stopped to draw properly, this is work in progress!
15. Budget better. I have been learning lots about budgeting recently so still aim to improve, must stop being so pants!
16. Make more lists. YES, YES, YES, I’ve also started preaching to everyone I meet about the importance of making lists, lists can change your life, help you plan, without a plan you will not achieve anything, make lists, plan, live your dreams, simple.
17. Lay off the bread, try to avoid bloated wheat induced comas. Yes I’ve lost quite a bit off chunk of ye olde mid drift this year which I’m pretty pleased about.
18. Learn to surf Yes, actually stood up twice!
19. Do what I want. Doing pretty well at this so far
20. Create E-Courses to share in practical and inspirational fabulousness. Alas this has taken a back burner, still I have some ideas that i’m gathering with the plan to do this in the future.
21. Be better at initiating conversations Continually practising, if you see me and I start asking you questions don’t be afraid!!
22. Don’t wear a bra finding the sans bra life a little too comfortable
23. Go for weeks without make-up I went for at least 6weeks without make up and now wear far less than ever.
24. Plan ahead more. YES most definitely improved on this.
25. Write to more companies with excellent product suggestions e.g Cath Kidston travel bottles, bicycle panniers, etc. (Yes I’m convinced some of my ideas have been taken seriously too)
26. Visualize more, imagine all that is possible. This year has been none stop visualisation, so inspired, so many ideas.
27. Learn languages. I can speak a little more German and French than at the start of the year.
28. Be more confident in my own decisions Feel more decisive, focused and in control than ever before.
29. Be a better listener Always striving to work on this.
30. Eat healthily, more consistently! Doing my best apart from my abnormal mince pie and M&M intake.
31. Spend more time in the U.S.A I spent the most amazing 3 months with my sister in the U.S.A driving down the West Coast, right across the country and up the East Coast winding up in New York City in our beat up Cadillac!
32. Visit Scotland again. This shall be done in 2013
33. Be bold. Always!
34. Be brave. Forever!
35. Hang out with Mum and Dad as much as possible. Yes we have met up in various places all over the World this year, now for a family Christmas.
36. Try to be nicer to my sister. You’ll have to ask her if I’ve succeeded, we’ve definately laughed way too much on our travels this year. Here we are laughing as miniatures in our garden, can you guess which one is me?
37. Get to know myself better. I feel more confident, powerful and unstoppable than ever before!
38. Design myself a logo. I designed the new Fabulous Times Logo and banner.
39. Wear more stripes. I forgot about this one!
40. Read more books. Yes I’ve definitely been more of a bookworm this year.
41. Do more for charity. I shall continue to sponsor my lovely child in India and do insanely hard challenges to raise money for my chosen charities.
42. Try to get up early. Get real!! unless it’s sunny outside then i’ll be up at the break of dawn.
44. See the Niagara Falls. YES YES YES such an incredible force of nature, we went under the Falls, jogged down by the falls in the morning and saw the Falls all lit up at night, what an experience.
45. Learn about Search Engine Optimisation. Learnt a little, still a lot to learn
46. Improve my blog. Yes, constantly aiming to improve.
47. Start a Food Page. Work in progress!
48. Make more home cooked meals. Sadly this had been tough as I’ve been on the road so much this year.
49. Laugh till I cry, most days. Oh Yes, here we are having an almighty great night at The Cicada Club in Los Angeles with our dearest friend Tally.50. Try not to laugh at my own jokes quite as much, ha. As if! I just can’t help myself, I’m so hilarious.
51. Talk about myself less! Hmm, goodness knows I’ve been trying.
52. Eat my 5 a day. Pretty much done this most days I think, I’ve mastered some great salad ideas this year.
53. Drink 2litres of water everyday. Nope, need more discipline!
54. Do some great illustrations to go in my portfolio. I did one, does that count?
55. Visit the deep South, home of the Blues. What an adventure! we visited Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans, Sun Studios, Graceland, words cannot describe. Here I am at Graceland, and at Sun Studios singing into the same mic as Elvis, could not be more excited!!
56. Become a more confident driver/ practice driving. I drove a small van on the motorway in France, that was a pretty big achievement for me!
57. Listen to new music. YES! listened to loads of amazing new bands at The Reeperbahn Festival in Hamburg this year, what a blast. We partyed for four days straight and discovered some almighty new bands I cannot stop listening to including, King Tuff, French pop duo Brigitte, La Femme, Jake Bugg to name but a few! Here we are looking cool and partying hard.
58. Bite my nails less. Yes! I have been good.
59. Be grateful everyday. Yes! Thank you, thank you, thank you.
60. Share the things I have learned. Always aiming to share in my inspirations, goals and ideas.
61. Spread love and happiness. Always working on it.
62. Shop at/ support independent business’ whenever possible. Always trying to support Independent business’ whenever possible.
63. Paint at least one picture. No, ahh sad I haven’t done this.
64. Try to perfect at least one more photo face, tame manic grin occasionally. I think I pouted the other day….
65. Worry less. Don’t worry, be happy, this wasn’t so tough to do.
66. Create more alone time for myself. Hmm o.k so this needs attention.
67. Streamline my possessions. YES! I have only a select few items in storage and my day to day clothes.
68. Learn about different religions. I learnt a little about the Islamic religion during my travels to Riyadh.
69. Learn more about philosophy. Not sure I’ve payed this one much attention, I’ve learnt about positive thinking, does that count?
70. Focus more on details. I try to do this more everyday, it’s the little things!
71. Try to do my best in all endeavours. Always
72. Appreciate the smallest of things. Yes everyday, it’s the little things that make everyday fabulous.
73. Create a beautiful environment wherever I go. I shall do my best.
74. Be more creative. YES always striving to exceed all expectations.
75. Create more moodboards, dream boards. Yes, just check out The Fabulous Times Pintrest site, i’ve been a busy bee.
76. Be everything I am supposed to be. Not quite sure what I’m ‘supposed’ to be but I’m striving to be my greatest self.
77. Imagine being my 10year old self and visualize what I knew was possible. This is a really incredible thing to do.
78. Buy a campervan and drive across America. O.K soo we fell in love with our Cadillac so as eer the practical, sensible option bit the dust.
79. Start each day like it’s my birthday. Go shorty it’s my birthday!
80. Live and work in New York City (an undying ambition!) O.K so maybe I didn’t work in NYC this year but we did spend a lovely few days hangin’ out in Williamsburg and roaming Manhattan in the sunshine.
81. Feel the joy .. feel the happiness everyday. I’ve been pretty darn happy this year and have tried to share my joy and happiness with those around me and those friends online too.
82. Experiment with new hair do’s YES! I actually cut my own hair short this summer, the shortest it’s ever been apart from when I was a mini person.
83. Remember to say thank you. Always
84. Use night cream. I started off well with this then my night cream routine fell by the way side, do we really need night cream?
85. Appreciate my amazing friends. I could not have gotten through this year without my incredible friends both new and old. I couldn’t even begin to name all the acts of kindness, you all know who you are and I love you. Here’s Helena, Katie and Hazel rolling around in the leaves in France. Happy Days.
86. Continue to look/ question/ stay inspired by the World around me. This will be on my list for infinity, I think.
87. Learn to teach people more effortlessly. This is going to take many years to master.
88. Make contact with people I find inspirational. I shall continue to do this into 2013, I’ve met some incredible creative and inspirinf creatures this year, what a blessing.
89. Watch more old films, including Old Hollywood silent movies. Yes I’ve been watching tons of great old films on Youtube and working my way through the entire Rita Hayworth back catalogue.
90. Eradicate all synthetics fibres from my wardrobe. Pretty much achieved this!
91. Introduce more print into my wardrobe. Yes I have so many more printed dresses now including my new favourite 1950’s floral dress given to me by our beautiful friend Norma.
92. Be fearless in my appearance. I’m more confident in my appearance than ever before
93. Try to read a new blog each day. so maybe not one a day but I have defo found tons of great blogs I love this year..
94. Post a video blog AKA a vlog! As a naturally quiet person I’ve still not quite gotten over my fear of talking into a camera, my voice is weird and my face does all kind of strange things, must work on plucking up the courage and try not to laugh as soon as I hit the record button, leave it with me..
95. Eat more garlic to improve memory. Forgot to do this, haha!
96. Wear even more colour. Working on it
97. Work hard Holy Moly, I’ve been working harder than ever and loving it these past few months, so inspired and bursting with ideas after our travelling adventure!
98. Be nice to people I hope I’ve achieved this!
99. Make home-made mango chutney Argh I must master Mango Chutney this, I made Rhubarb, Date & Ginger Christmas Chutney, does hat count?
100. LOVE Always!
Writing a list of dreams at the start of the year helped me focus so much, helped me realise things I’d always wanted to do but as soon as I’d thought them they would drift away into the realms of ‘i’ll do that one day’.
Making a list captures those dreams you never quite hang onto and gives you a reference point, so on those quiet days when your attention is wavering you can choose one thing from your list and put it into action. Dreams don’t just happen, sometimes you have to create them, day by day. Dreams can come true.
I am so very grateful for such and incredible year and the new friends and loved ones I’ve met along my adventures.
How did you get on with your list? did you write one this year? will you write one for 2013?
Live the most fabulous life possible.