Hello 2019! As 2018 reaches a close and a new year begins, it’s time to ask that all important question- did I achieve my 2018 goals?! Here’s a look back at my list and a recap/ public shaming to see how I fared. It’s always important to take time to evaluate how you spent your time, to make lists to ensure you’re striving to achieve your OWN goals and not just get swept along, never really doing those things that YOU want to do!..
I first started writing my annual list of ‘100 goals’ back in 2012, back in the days when I still ate gluten and not wearing a bra seemed like a big deal! Looking back reoccurring themes have always been present some I’ve nailed/ some not so much- like eating healthy, thankfully this is just part of my daily lifestyle now, on the flip side there’s my aim to ‘stop biting my nails’ sadly this is still an issue for me…
Without further ado, let’s see- did I achieve my 2018 goals?
- Start saving for an investment holiday property (long term goal but hey, got to start somewhere!)
Gulp, turns out renovating home is pretty costly! will certainly revisit this one in 2019!!!
- Design prints for etsy shop
Didn’t find the time to dedicate to this sadly as I found myself pretty busy with work/course/home reno/ blog stuff!
- Complete my nutritional healing course
YES and still enjoying learning.
- Renovate the bathroom!
YES YES YES! You can see the end results in our Bathroom Makeover Reveal!
- Plan and renovate the kitchen
YES! well we’re 75% of the way there, just need to fill a few holes, varnish, paint and get the shelves up!
- Lay wooden flooring in bedrooms
NOPE (currently debating carpet)
- Enrol on second year diploma course
YES! Enjoying studying with the Nutritional Healing Foundation
- Jog once a week
NOPE- Did manage a swim and also yoga, so that’s an improvement!
- Run a 10k for charity
- Spend agrotourism holiday in Italy
Sadly not but may carry this one forward.
- Research where to buy holiday home (aka go on holidays!)
NOPE Again a combination of a busy schedule and home reno put this on the back burner (for now anyway)
- Continue to declutter!!! (it feels so good to have more space and fewer things)
YES! Very happy to report we now have full use of our home office (former storage facility) and have Ebayed lots and I’m also on first name terms with our local charity shop.
- Be more sensible
YES, I actually feel like I’ve made great progress in generally being more sensible.
- Get spotlights fitted throughout the house
OK so the dining room/ kitchen has them, we have quotes for the rest so will get these sorted in 2019.
- Share my nutritional learnings online
- Continue to clear the loft (this is a longterm project! There’s a lot of things up there)
YES This is officially still happening, but we have made some EPIC progress!
- Pay off student loan (yawn, how have I not done this yet?! ug)
- Stop using packaging
Made a gallant effort on this front for sure!
- Stop drinking from plastic bottles
- Stop using plastic!
Pretty much cut this one right back!
- Switch to renewable energy
NOPE Sadly not been able to sort this out yet- as soon as our current contract is up, this is happening!
- Go life drawing
- Budget better
YES! Totally! This is such a big one! I have become a bit of a Dave Ramsey disciple!
- Try and overcome my deeply engrained phobia of maths (this is ongoing)
YES I think this is slowly becoming less daunting and I’m more willing to try (instead of sulking and saying I can’t do maths)
- Stop dining out as much
YES, both Mr T and I have cut right back on dining out, homecooking is so much healthier.
- Be outside in nature more
Always strive to achieve this, certainly getting out into nature at least once a week.
- Journal (everynight before bed)
OK maybe not every night but I’ve kept the journal next to my bed and have been noting things down that I’d like to do, goals and random thoughts, which is fun.
- Go on a yoga holiday/ trip
No, would still love to do this.
- Go kayaking
- See the Nutcracker ballet
Didn’t see the Nutcracker but did get to see Swan Lake!
- Sort out my laptop (it’s sluggish and need fixing so bad)
It has been taking a long time to do this but I have certainly made a decent start.
- Reupholster dining room chairs
NOPE- still on the agenda though
- White wash the staircase
NOPE- still on the agenda though
- Lay carpet in the landing area
Decided to opt for wood, the floorboards are currently propped up against the wall waiting to be fitted!
- Add a radiater to the freezing cold hallway
The radiator is propped up against the wall ready for fitting in the new year!
- Jump off a boat into the sea
Sadly not! Did get on a boat on my birthday in Beaumaris, so that’s halfway there I guess.
- Change fillings to enamel (gross)
YES YES YES! This was so major for me!!! I’ve been vowing to do this for years and now it’s sorted, it was a bit pricey and took lots of appointments but was so worth it!
- Print a photo of Pickle and frame it
Can’t believe I haven’t done this.
- Take a portrait of Mr T, me and Pickle once a month (Mr T requested this one)
I tried but Pickle isn’t always up for group portraits!
- Spend down time more consciously (as in not slumped in front of the TV)
Feel like I have in some way achieved this, helped along by the beautiful long summer we enjoyed.
- Watch less television
- Stop saying negative things
Definitely made improvement
- Remove all toxic household-cleaning products
Yes, have been trying out lots of different sprays inspired by The Clutter Bug YouTube channel.
- Try hot yoga
NOPE Still scared of passing out.
- Cut down on the use of the washing machine
- Improve general fitness level
- Simplify my belongings (even more)
- Be more zen
- Learn more about nutritious foods
YES YES YES!
- Experiment with new recipes
YES! Have shared a few, but must start sharing more recipes!
- Assess and streamline my wardrobe (even more)
YES YES YES
- Surround myself with natural materials
- Replace Tupperware for non-plastic
No, will right this wrong asap!
- Eat more avocados
- Be more enthusiastic about household chores ( I have a bad attitude)
YES I have really tried, certainly not a domesticated goddess, but hey!
- Shop locally (support small businesses)
- Go to an orchestral concert
- Buy new duvet cover
- Replace makeup for natural cosmetics
YES currently trying out a range of LUSH Make Up and now only use organic/ natural beauty products in general.
- Enjoy lots of long baths
- Be better at storage (more organized)
YES- So satisfying
- Practice planking
- Invest in soft, good quality loungewear
- Wear more linen
- Do regular gong baths at the Chiron Institute
Sadly not 🙁
- Try infrared saunas
Sadly not 🙁
- Try hypobaric oxygen therapy with Mr T
Sadly not 🙁
- Stop making as many sarcastic comments (tone it down)
YES Hopefully this has improved.
- Replace houseplant pots with more decorative/ tasteful options
- Strip textured wallpaper off the landing ceiling
NOPE- still on the agenda though
- Regulary edit the contents of my drawers
- Appreciate our home
YES! Love hanging out with Mr T & Pickle, spending time relaxing at home. Practicing gratitude truly transforms where you’re at! Currently reading The Magic Book that reinforces this belief.
- Knock down walls between living room and kitchen
HECK YES! SO MUCH MORE LIGHT! (Can’t wait to share pics)
- Surround myself with soft textures
- Cut down on coffee
- Buy a decent mop
- Be better at backing up my laptop
- Clean up as I go
YES Trying really hard.
- Visit the sea (as much as possible)
- Get fresh air
As much as I can!
- Visit the countryside once a week
- Have friends round for dinner more often
NO! Didn’t really think this through given that we’ve been living amongst the renovation chaos, oops!
- Buy silk socks
NO- kinda bummed about this.
- Get some new running shoes
- Stare at the horizon once a week
- Visit a financial advisor
NOPE, following Dave Ramsey and winging it!
- Read more fiction
- Stop biting nails (almost done this but have slipped up this week, was doing so well- must continue!)
Sadly not, will I ever stop?!
- Enjoy cultural outings with Mr T.
YES We have been to the Opera, the ballet and several art galleries!
- Get a pair of saltwater sandals
Decided they were too flat for my feet, so shelved this one.
- Write more letters
- Compile an up to date birthday/ address book
- Invest in set of silver napkin rings
YES found two in the antiques centre, so our collection is growing.
- Buy a Kitchen Aid food processer
YES Luckily I got one for my birthday, amazing!
- Get a head massage
- Give to Manchester homeless charity
No, but I will right this wrong.
- Think positive
- Practice meditation
- Develop my aromatherapy oil collection
- Go foraging- YES
Well then, I roughly achieved 64/ 100 given the magnitude of some of these I’m pretty darn happy with how 2018 has gone! The biggest milestones that I’m feeling pretty good about reaching are the goals that are totally not glamorous at all, infact pretty dull, this just goes to show how my levels of ‘sensible behaviour’ have improved!!! I’m ridiculously happy to have finally paid off my student loan (mortgage next!) and having gotten my teeth sorted (this is a really boring but a big one for me).
I’m also super excited by our home improvements, they have been both exhausting and rewarding in equal measure!
How did your list go? did you make one?
Now is a great time to start list making if you’ve never done it before. My technique is to dump everything into a notebook, do it over several days/ weeks and you’ll find there’s lots you’d love to do. It’s always good to mentally walk through your everyday and jot down little things you’d like to improve, for example ‘reduce commute time’ OR ‘declutter wardrobe’ don’t be afraid to add the small stuff to your list. Then dedicate a little time to daydreaming, imagine all those things your 10 year old self imagined doing like ‘visit Antartica’ OR ‘see elephants in Africa’ whatever you want to do, if you write it down, chances are you’re way more likely to make it happen!
*Tip- I bookmark my ongoing list on my phone, then every so often I can revert back to it throughout the year to see if there’s anything I’d like to do. Remember, it doesn’t matter if you carry things forward or don’t get everything done, any progress is good and it doesn’t need to be perfect! Also, don’t be afraid to add ‘stop doing’ goals to your list.