True to form, the clock strikes the month of October and I’m on the couch with a sniffling cold. Classic. Feeling sorry for myself and with a VIP ticket to the self-pity party, I sat staring at my phone googling things to help boost my immune system, to try and shake this cold!
A few lovely friends offered up wise words of advice over on Instagram, with natural remedies to try, so I set to work. My quest resulted in the creation of this (very tasty) Golden Tumeric Porridge Recipe.
First up, Manuka honey. I dragged my sorry self out to Holland & Barret dodging the crowds in pursuit of a jar of Manuka Honey, a pricey affair but my good friend swears by it- so worth a try! Another suggestion was to add turmeric to my porridge. I’ve discussed briefly the benefits of turmeric in my pervious Golden Milk Recipe post, so thought this sounded like a great idea!
Tumeric health benefits:
- Helps build immunity
- Gives relief from a sore throat
- Acts as a remedy for digestive problems- You can tackle digestive tract problems with turmeric, turmeric improves digestion, helps relieve gas and bloating as well as heartburn caused by gastric reflux.
- Turmeric can also act as a tonic for the liver
- Gives relief from autoimmune disease
- Acts as a headache remedy
- Help reduce arthritic pain
Manuka Honey health benefits:
- Aid Wound Healing
- Promote Oral Health- Studies have shown Manuka honey attacks harmful oral bacteria associated with plaque formation, gum inflammation and tooth decay.
- Soothe a Sore Throat- Not only does Manuka honey attack harmful bacteria, it also coats the inner lining of the throat for a soothing effect.
- Help Prevent Gastric Ulcers
- Improve Digestive Symptoms
- May Treat Symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis
- Treats Acne
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 tsp of Manuka honey (dollop on top)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- half tsp cinnamon (or a full tea spoon depending on your personal preference, I LOVE cinnamon so I tend to add a whole spoonful)
- half tsp ginger (powder)
- fresh nutmeg (grated)
- handful of pecans
- porridge oats
Make your porridge as usual with the oats and almond milk boiling in the pan. Stir in your tumeric, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon. Put your porridge in your bowl, top with a handful of pecans and dollop of Manuka honey. Voila!
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” – Hippocrates
(Side note: Nutritional info via: healthline.com)