If you’re trying to shed some pounds before the summer season and are wondering what might be the best way to get in shape then fear not, there are plenty of fun and simple things you can do live happier and healthier. Here are just a few of the best ways to stay in shape.
1. Go for Walks: Walking is probably the simplest and most effective form of exercise, as it is something we usually have the opportunity to do every day. Instead of driving to the grocery store why not walk, or if you’re commuting to work get off the train or bus a stop early and stroll through the fresh air. If you’re with family why not get out of the house together and go for a walk, it will take you away from the distractions of things like cooking and technology and is the perfect way to spend quality and healthy time together.
2. Begin Running: After you’ve gone for a few walks and are starting to feel a little more able, then why not head out for a run. Running will elevate your heart rate more than walking and will help you to burn extra calories. Remember, your heart is a muscle, so the more you work it in a healthy way the stronger it will become. If you’re worried about the effects that running might have on your joints, then consider trying an elliptical trainer, which tends to be much easier on the body.
3. Head Out for a Cycle: Cycling is a great way to burn calories and excess fat as well as tone your legs and core. Much like the elliptical trainer it is far easier on your joints than walking and running. Consider cycling to work or school as opposed to driving or taking public transport, as this will help provide you exercise without taking extra hours out of your day. If you’re worried about cycling on the street, then try using exercise bikes, which provide great cardio workouts.
4. Dive into the Pool: One of the best forms of exercise is swimming, as it not only provides you with a great cardiovascular workout, but the resistance of the water against your body also helps to build and tone muscle. Try joining a local swim-group or signing up for a lane at a local pool. Even if you’re not a strong swimmer you will quickly find yourself improving and becoming more fit.
5. Join a Sports Club or Team: If you’re the type of person that worries about your personal will preventing you from getting in shape, then why not join a sports club or team where you will be forced to show up for your exercise in order to support and play with your teammates. Team sports are a great way to both get in shape and make new friends.
Staying in shape or shedding weight doesn’t have to be hard, just be sure to find the type of exercise plan that best suits you and most importantly, enjoy yourself.