A bunch of friends are reaching a milestone birthday this year, getting married, having children and blossoming into adulthood. Reaching a milestone birthday wether it’s 18, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and beyond can make you start to reevaluate and question what you’re doing and where your life’s heading.
If you’re anxious about reaching a milestone birthday, here are 5 reasons why you such ditch your insecurities, focus on celebrating life and most importantly feel happy about growing old. We celebrated my GBFF Nick’s 30th birthday this weekend. Heading back to my hometown for a whole host of fun, cake, ice cream, sunshine, party bags, friends and amazing food. Massive thank you to Alyson (who I know will be reading this) for making it such a wonderful day for all of us + David for slaving over a super hot BBQ on one of the sunniest day of the year! I hope you’ll enjoy sharing in a mini photo diary of the event and realise that getting older should be met with a smile and not anxiety.
1. Celebrate your achievements: If you’re lucky enough to have made it to a milestone birthday you should celebrate all that you’ve learnt so far. When you are young, you are learning what you need to know and developing your hopes and skills. As you get older, you have time to reflect on all that you’ve learnt. You can use a lifetime of experience to do the things you always wanted to do.
2. Be a little reckless: If you’ve made it to 30 and have no children or you’re children are all grown up and have left home, don’t sweat it too much, focus not on the things you don’t have and look at the positives. No one is really depending on you, so you can eat ice cream for dinner, go travelling, stay up too late or laze around watching a HBO T.V Marathon.
3. You have the power: As you get older you realise that everything comes and goes and ebbs and flows. You know that if everything is good, you should enjoy it while you can; if everything is bad, you have the power to ride the storm and things will change. With age comes knowledge and experience, with that knowledge you have the power to change to course of your life, neigh the World!
4. You can laugh: It honestly doesn’t matter how wrinkly, saggy, grey or old you look as long as you can laugh. Laughing is the most beautiful trait, a smile is magnetic and will guarantee you look fabulous no matter how old you are getting. Remember the old saying that Laughter is the best medicine. Laughing makes you look great and feel better!
5. You are loved: The older you are, chances are the more friends and family you have who love you! There are people on this planet that love and care about you. In the end that’s far more important than how much you thought you’d be earning when you turned 30 or how you’re the only one of your friends who’s not married yet.
Don’t set unrealistic targets for yourself, don’t sweat the things you haven’t done, focus on what you want to do in the future, the things you’ve always dreamed of, smile and laugh and you will attract fabulousness into your life. The sun was shining as we all sat out in the garden and enjoyed a BBQ, played pin the tale on the donkey, pass the parcel and were given party bags complete with love hearts, what a perfect day.
‘The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate’ -Oprah Winfrey