I’m very excited to introduce a new monthly series for The Fabulous Times written by professional Fortune Teller and my dear friend Hazel from Hex Tarot. In this series we’ll look at the meaning and history of each new moon as well as identify monthly intentions, mantras and meditations. Without further ado, here’s a look at the January new moon…
January New Moon
The moon has a long magical history. Its striking beauty aroused fear and worship among our ancient ancestors. Since history began it has inspired astrology, technology and exploration. While the moons visual presence is obvious, the energetic power of the moon is more esoteric, yet no less important to our lives. It is believed to govern our seas, our menstrual cycles, even our moods and emotions can be enhanced by the moon during its 29 day cycle.
New Moon Meaning And Symbols
A new moon occurs when the moon is almost in total alignment with the sun and the earth, so blocking the sun’s reflective light, making it appear absent or a tiny crescent in our sky. This marks the beginning of the moon cycle. New moon energy is perfect for setting your intentions and letting go of limiting behaviour. The January New Moon is a great time to makes lists of those nagging goals or to start a new project. Setting the tone for the first 14 days leading up to the full moon. There are various colours, elements and energy associated with the January New Moon…
- The colours: orange, turquoise, blue
- The chakras: sacral, root, throat
- The energy: ordered, freedom, willpower
- The stones: citrine, aventurine, turquoise
- Elements: earth, water
- Numbers: 11,2,3
New Moon Astrology
Every moon is governed by the seasonal month in which it falls. During the moon cycle it moves through the zodiac, spending roughly 3.5 days transiting each sign. By recognising the astrological position, as well as the suns astrology and seasonal energy of a new moon, we can adapt our goals accordingly- making us even more efficient.
The first New moon of 2020 falls on January 24th at around 22:20GMT the sun will be in Aquarius, while our new moon will be transiting through Capricorn. Aquarius is a humanitarian with a flare for the unique and creative. On the other hand Capricorn energy warrants leadership and asks us to focus on long term objectives. Both of these signs are hugely individual and like to be seen and express their energy freely. Working on team projects or bouncing ideas off friends will work great if you take a leadership role over the energy of this new moon. Together these energies encourage us to be ambitious and creative about our goals for the year. Taking an inspired, solution-focused approach, these goals will feel easy during the January New Moon.
During the January New Moon the overarching energy is associated with being ordered, freedom and willpower. This is a great time of year to let go of any energy no longer serving you, to set intensions. Here are a few ideas for intensions you might like to set for yourself…
- Join in with a group sports league
- Go dancing. It sounds simple dancing really does let go of your demons. Try a five rhythms class with friends. It’s a guided free expressions dance workshop, you can really let go and release old limitations and boost your serotonin to help stimulate your action plan.
- Get creatively inspired with friends by taking a workshop together. Learning new skills often builds our confidence so cutting out negative patterns feels a lot easier.
- Take up a new hobby: focusing your creative energy into a purpose.
- Look for a promotion/new position/network: This new moon combination is perfect for you to stand out from the crowd, be ambitious and aim high.
- Write lists: it sounds obvious but properly structuring our time and work to deadlines in a stead methodical way really is one key to success.
New Moon Meditations And Mantras
● Connection ● Organisation ● Inspiration
Your mantra for this moon cycle:
“I trust the process of life”
Start with meditation. Stillness will focus the mind and stimulate creative ideas. Much of this new moon will be work related but working on your personal goals is important too. Writing our goals down or even creating a mood board or Pinterest helps us to visualise them and work towards manifesting them into reality. As we work steadily through our tasks for the month keep returning to these longer term personal goals. Remember that we don’t need to run to them, but enjoy the small goals set during this full moon. As each of these is moving us forward on our path. Remember that having a long term reason for short term objectives is a great way to micromanage what can be an otherwise overwhelming goal.