I first met the fabulous Donna at a murder mystery evening in Manchester where we sat next to each other equally baffled over clues, evidence and what the heck was going on around us, we got chatting about our love of all things polka dot and everything else in between! Donna is the wizard behind Polkadot Pink blog, where you’ll find heaps of cute outfit posts, travel pictures, adventures and of course polka dots! It’s with a big smile and warm heart that I introduce Polkadot Pink as this years first Fabulous Times Blogger of the month!
Q. List 3 things you love about blogging:
1. It’s been said before, but it never gets old, top of the list of blogging loves is *drum roll*… the community! When I first started blogging, I wanted an outlet to write creatively. I never dreamed I could meet so many like-minded and friendly people, people who shared my quirks and actively encouraged them.
2. It forces me out of my comfort zone. Whether it’s posing in public, attempting to capture that perfect, elusive shot, or pouring my heart out in text type, I can no longer be the wallflower I’ve grown so used to being. Blogging has made me more confident and dare I say it, friendly? It’s not that I was ever unfriendly; I was just very, very shy. Chatting to new people at events and on Twitter has become second nature now. Shyness abolished!
3. I’m writing once more. I wrote a diary from the ages of 13-23 but that fizzled out when I became a primary teacher. Writing a little each day keeps my love of words alive and helps me to believe I didn’t waste my time studying a Journalism degree.
Q. List 3 Fabulous blogs that have inspired you?
1. I remember stumbling across Rachel the Hat on Instagram and marvelling at her dress collection- it was almost identical to mine. I instantly loved her styling and read every single post she uploaded to her blog. Although our tastes are very different these days, her blog made me think, ‘I could do that!’
2. Around the same time, I found BeingErica, the blog of an Aussie expat living life in London. Erica had a way with words that made you instantly believe she was talking directly to you. Her writing taught me the importance of having a voice.
3. Lisa of Lalafauxbois never fails to make me smile. Her blog is cheer personified, from her bright, pattern clashing outfits to her sunny American travels, it’s the perfect escape on rainy days. Lisa inspires me to be creative with my outfits, if you think it’s not going to match – it’s likely to look fantastic.
Q. List 3 Fabulous tips for aspiring bloggers.
The biggest lesson I’ve learnt is to stay true to yourself, find your niche and lovingly curate it. Write about the things you enjoy and passion will shine through. If you’re feeling uninspired, don’t fret: inspiration will find you when you least expect it.
Secondly, never underestimate the power of social media. Curate your media like your blog, have a voice and visually sell each blog post with high quality images. Include relevant hash tags to allow other people to find your work. Work chronologically and post during times people are liking to be active.
Thirdly, network. Be friendly, say hello, give genuine compliments and don’t be frightened of approaching bloggers for help.
Big thank you to Donna for taking the time to share her beautiful corner of the world wide web with us. You can head over and say hello to Donna HERE! x
The Fabulous Times