Now that we’re all spending a little more time in the house, it’s the perfect time to turn your focus to nature and getting a little green-fingered. Houseplants are a fabulous thing. Houseplants have the power to bring your living space to life and improve your physical and mental health. In fact, there is research to prove it. NASA has revealed that houseplants can remove up to 87% of air toxins within 24 hours!
It is also thought that houseplants improve concentration and productivity (by up to 15% according to NBCNews), reduce your stress levels and boost mood. So, for any of you officially working from home, now is the time to add a little green friend to your desk. You would not be alone, there’s over 3 million houseplant hashtags on Instagram and more than 14,000 for #deskplant so if you’re WFH, join the movement. If you’re in then why not choose your houseplant based on your zodiac sign? Let’s take a look at which houseplant you should choose…
The Houseplant For Your Zodiac Sign?
Aries Zodiac Sign
- Sign: Aries (March 21 – April 19)
- Houseplant: Calathea
- Bold and ambitious rams love to be number one, which is why Calathea (also known as “Prayer Plants”) make a great fit. The mix of rich purple, green, pink and red leaves in a Calathea plant put on a show that the eye can’t miss.
Taurus Zodiac Sign
- Sign: Taurus (April 20 – May 20)
- Houseplant: Ponytail Palm
- Bulls enjoy relaxing in serene, rustic environments, which makes the Ponytail Palm the perfect houseplant for this sign. The slow-growing Ponytail Palm loves nothing more than basking in the sunlight. Pop on the windowsill for maximum effect.
Gemini Zodiac Sign
- Sign: Gemini (May 21 – June 20)
- Houseplant: Bromeliad
- Gemini is a busy sign that some say needs a clone of itself in order to get everything done. Well, the Bromeliad plant does exactly that! The long-lasting plant produces pups (or side shoots) that will replace the original plant.
Cancer Zodiac Sign
- Sign: Cancer (June 21 – July 22)
- Houseplant: Asparagus Fern
- Those under the Cancer sign are intuitive and tangible, which means they effortlessly pick up on energy around the home. An Asparagus Fern is similar in that it can tolerate a lot and can adapt to both bright spots and darker corners.
Leo Zodiac Sign
- Sign: Leo (July 23 – August 22)
- Houseplant: Yucca
- This spirited fire sign is known to bask in the sunlight, with a theatrical and intense passion, much like the Yucca plant! The recipe for a happy Yucca is sun, sun, and more sun. Plus, its woody stems and spikey leaves convey vivacity – just like a Leo.
Virgo Zodiac Sign
- Sign: Virgo (August 23 – September 22)
- Houseplant: Begonia
- This earth sign presents practical, perfectionist qualities which suit the Begonia plant. The perfectly beautiful blooms only require an occasional drink, and even less water in the winter. This makes it a great houseplant for Virgo, plus, it comes in a variety of colours and patterns so no need to worry about a clash with décor.
Libra Zodiac Sign
- Sign: Libra (September 23 – October 22)
- Houseplant: Peace Lily
- Libra’s champion harmony and equilibrium, which makes them perfectly suited to the Peace Lily. Not only is the Peace Lily great for detoxifying the home, it’s beautiful to look at too. With enough light, this houseplant will produce tranquil white and off-white flowers in the early summer and continue to bloom throughout the year.
Scorpio Zodiac Sign
- Sign: Scorpio (October 23 – November 21)
- Houseplant: Cast-Iron Plant
- Scorpio is a powerful sign that takes great strength from emotion. The Cast-Iron Plant mirrors this power. Surviving low light, poor quality soil and a wide range of temperatures, the Cast-Iron Plant is a formidable asset to the home.
Sagittarius Zodiac Sign
- Sign: Sagittarius (November 22 – December 21)
- Houseplant: African Violets
- This sign is known for having a quest for knowledge, chasing after geographical, intellectual and spiritual adventures. In African Violets this sign finds a good match; African Violets are, after all, one of the most popular houseplants around the world and what’s more adventurous than that?
Capricorn Zodiac Sign
- Sign: Capricorn (December 22 – January 19)
- Houseplant: Guiana Chestnut
- Mythological Capricorns are skilled at navigating both the material and emotional realms, which makes them perfectly suited to Guiana Chestnut (also known as “Money Trees.”) For the material realm, many people believe the trunk braid and leaves of the money tree bring good luck and financial success. For the emotional realm, the vibrancy of this plant’s lively green leaves will soothe any soul.
Aquarius Zodiac Sign
- Sign: Aquarius (January 20 – February 18)
- Houseplant: Air Plant
- This humanitarian sign is thought to be representative of a mystical healer who bestows water, or life, upon the land. An Air Plant makes a great fit for this sign. Air Plants are epiphytes, which means that in nature they grow on other plants – not in soil – breathing new life into everything they touch. Immerse them in water for about 2 or 3 hours every 10 days to help them thrive at home.
Pisces Zodiac Sign
- Sign: Pisces (February 19 – March 20)
- Houseplant: Jade Plant
- Pisces is a water sign that reflects constant division between fantasy and reality. Step forth South African native, the Jade Plant. Dormant if they don’t get enough water and generous in growth when rehydrated, the Jade Plant echoes the divisive nature of the Pisces sign.
So, what do you think? will you be adding a little greenery to your desk? If you’re looking to create a calming WFH space, you might also enjoy reading:
The Fabulous Times
*Data quoted provided by FarawayFurniture.com